Thursday, January 29, 2009

Why I Am So Tired?

(Edited to say I had originally titled this post "Why Am I So Tired?" and then realized that I know why I'm tired, so changed it to "Why I Am So Tired". I forgot to remove the question mark, but I think I'm going to leave it. It's a much better indication of my current state of mind.)
For the past few nights, Jake has only been waking up to eat once. In theory, that means that I go to sleep, wake up once to feed him, and go back to sleep until Steve's alarm goes off Owen sees a Wake-Up 7. (What, you're not familiar with the Wake-Up 7? Owen has a digital clock in his room, and he knows that he has to stay in bed until he sees the Wake-Up 7. If he wakes up before then, he's supposed to "snuggle Yellow Bear and go back to sleep", which he actually does. I've been in Jake's room, and heard Owen stir, call out "Yellow Bear? Yellow Bear?" and then settle when he finds his friend in the covers. He knows that the Wake-Up 7 is the one to the left of the ":", as opposed to the Not-A-Wake-Up 7, which shows up every ten minutes. It's a good system, and has been working for us for several months now. )

I'm not staying asleep though. I wake up several times a night, not just sort-of awake, but fully was-that-the-baby-I'd-better-wake-up-more-and-listen-in-case-it-was awake. I haven't had any trouble falling back to sleep, but I'm finding my rest is way more disturbed then it was when Jake was eating 3 (or more, hello growth spurts!) times through the night. I'm waking up far more often, it seems, NOT hearing the baby, then I did when I heard him.

I am lucky. When Jake does wake up, he fusses, I feed, and he goes right back to sleep. The whole thing takes 15 minutes at the absolute maximum, and that's usually because I've started dozing in the rocking chair, and haven't even noticed he's done eating until he's fallen off. (He hasn't pooped at night since he was about 2 months old, and that's when I quit nighttime diaper changes, which made things easier too.) He's been a much better sleeper than Owen, falling asleep on his own in the crib (no endless bouncing on the yoga ball, etc. like we did with Owen) and I know I'm lucky. I have girlfriends whose babies wake up fussy, and then STAY awake. For hours. So I really have nothing to complain about.

I remember this transition when Owen was figuring out sleeping through the night. Eventually, my body will figure out that yes, we are going to regularly stay asleep for more than 3 hours at a stretch. But until then, I guess this will be my Mombie phase with Jake. Of course, compared to that, this is pretty easy. It's Mombie Lite. (Now please excuse me while I run to my dining room and bang the heck out of my table with my fist.)

No comments: