Thursday, January 08, 2009

Wait a minute...

Of course with the new year comes New Year's Resolutions. I resolved to be more regular with my running - to that end, Jake and I now have a regular date at the indoor track on Thursdays (we run outdoors on Tuesdays, but indoors I have a chance to do sprints without worrying about falling, and stairs as well). We brought the Jeep in for some maintenance, and while they worked on it, Jake and I took the bus downtown.

(Quick aside: well done to Grand River Transit! Buses are so much nicer than they were back when I was a regular rider! They're all wheelchair accessible, so I just wheeled Jake right on in the stroller, and then parked him in one of the wheelchair sections where the seats fold away. I wasn't sure which stop I wanted, since I was just headed downtown and walking the rest of the way (that way I could get the iExpress immediately, without having to wait for a more direct bus). The driver was very helpful, and I would actually consider taking the bus again. I think Owen would like it too!)

Anyway, we went to the track and did our thing. Jake was his usual adorable self, and was much admired by everyone he aimed his gummy grin at. When we were headed out, a lady stopped to chat with Jake. (It happens all the time - he's such a flirt!) She told me it was so great that I took the time to involve my baby in my workout, and that he obviously loved it. Then she mentioned seeing a program the other day, all about celebrity moms. She went on to say what a shame it is how they make it look so easy to get back into shape right away after having a baby, and to not let all that pressure get to me. I smiled, and then we were on our way.

As I was walking back to the bus stop, I started to think, and I was like, wait a minute! I know she probably meant it kindly, but come on! Obviously, if I shouldn't let the pressure to look like a celebrity mom get to me, I am failing miserably in my goal to look like a celebu-mom! I mean, I know I don't look like a celebrity mom, even 6 months after having Jake. But other people should not be commenting on this, no matter how round about a manner they use to do so. So then I was laughing to myself as I pushed Jake along, causing other people to look at me and no doubt think that it was also good that I was not letting the pressure to appear sane in public get to me.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, something I just noticed while folding laundry this evening: my ratio of t-shirts-I-have-paid-for to t-shirts-I-have-gotten-for-free is way out of whack! Um, I'm not a klepto. But I do have a couple of Mother/Daughter Walk for Heart and Stroke shirts, four shirts from races I've run in, at least three from the Children's Groundwater Festival (I used to be on the board), plus odd shirts from work (Waste Management! The Toilet Replacement Program!) and various gyms (GoodLife, and 360 Fitness - which reminds me, I have to still get in touch with my friend about the pass I won in his charity auction.) Obviously, I need to go shopping. I need to stock up on shirts that allow me to express myself in the uniquly individual manner possible only when wearing a shirt with a clever slogan that one hundred other people are also sporting. Hee.

No comments: