Thursday, January 15, 2009

I love my mittens!

It is very cold today. Freeze your @$$ off cold! So cold that I made Owen wear his snowpants to the babysitters, even though I know they won't be going out to play today. (We usually just bring them along, as I don't usually go in for that early-morning wrestling if I don't have to. All together now: "No want to wear my snowpants, Mommy! No THANK YOU!")

And poor Jake was bundled in his snowsuit, which is too short, but thankfully has feet flaps that allow him to still wear it, with his feet and ankles sticking out. (Which I then wrap in warm, fleecy booties and a blanky. We should all be so comfy!) Cold, cold, cold. And of course, I too bundled up, with warm coat, warm hat, warm and toasty (but a pain to lace up!) boots (which I wear, because there is absolutely no chance of me slipping in a parking lot while carrying the boy/s. Seriously, my boots are made by Caterpillar. Hey, if it's good enough for landfill equipment, it's good enough for me!) and finally, my snuggy mittens.

Originally, these mittens were a stocking stuffer for Steve a few Christmases back, but he never really got into wearing them, so I've reclaimed them. They're the style where they're kind of like gloves with the fingers cut off, and then mitten flaps that cover the tips of your fingers. If you need to, you throw the flaps back and you have the ability to do all the necessary things you do with fingers, but your hands stay warm! I have perfected the "mitt flick" that enables me to not only free my fingers from the flap (say THAT 10 times fast!) but also catch the flap on the handy velcro catch that keeps the flap out of my way.

I can buckle the kids into the car without taking off my mittens. I can push the buttons on the drive thru bank machine without taking off my mittens. I can pay-at-the-pump without taking off my mittens. I can pay for my Timmy's medium-coffee-with-milk with dimes and nickels without taking off my mittens. I can pretty much do anything without taking off my mittens!

....Unless that thing requires the use of my thumb. Then I have to take off the mittens, because alas, there is no thumb flap. While I still can use my thumb, my dexterity is limited. I'm amazed at how many things I do clumsily because I essentially have no "feeling" in my thumb while it's covered by the mitten. It's enough to make a girl thankful that she has opposable thumbs at all. :) My mittens: keeping my hands warm, AND making me stop and appreciate my higher-order functions! Love 'em!

No comments: